Sunday, January 10, 2010

devotion



i love words. i think i have loved them ever since i learned how to read. but i think that love was also solidified in 4th grade when any time that i finished my reading skills or studypaks early my teacher would have me complete the WordPower in Reader's Digest. i definitely love words, especially learning new ones.

devotion is not a new word per se as i of course have heard it numerous times in my life and have some sort of a grasp of its meaning. however, since moving to Niger, a mostly Muslim country, i have witnessed a daily spiritual devotion unlike any other i have seen. now i am not saying that Islam is the "right" religion or condoning its beliefs, i am simply writing about their prayerful devotion. and those who argue that it is all motion and nothing spiritual i would say, judge not, lest you be judged.

devotion in websters words is:

de⋅vo⋅tion

[di-voh-shuhn]
–noun
1.profound dedication; consecration.
2.earnest attachment to a cause, person, etc.
3.an assignment or appropriation to any purpose, cause, etc.:the devotion of one's wealth and time to scientific advancement.
4.Often, devotions. Ecclesiastical. religious observance or worship; a form of prayer or worship for special use.
2. zeal, ardor. See love.

i have been on the periphery of muslim prayer numerous times since arriving here, been woken up many mornings by the call to prayer and witnessed hundreds of people stop what they are doing and begin to pray. but it wasn't until i was visiting our friend lily in the clinic that i actually stopped and stared. i was glancing out the window when i heard the noon call to prayer and noticed a gentleman in the garden begin his preparations. i was riveted because i knew he couldn't see me and even though i felt like an intruder on something very private i could not stop watching. for the next 25, 30 minutes i was thoroughly moved by his devotion to prayer. he laid out his mat, performed ablutions, which involves thorough cleaning of the hands, face, mouth, nose, arms and feet and then proceeded to pray, which included many recitations, standing up, kneeling, and prostrating. knowing he did this 5 times a day made it even more intriguing. now one can argue his motives, his level of spiritualness, his honor or integrity but his devotion for prayer is obvious. he consciously makes a decision 5 times, everyday, to stop what he is doing, wherever he may be and pay tribute to his God. if that isn't profound dedication i don't know what is.

i like to think i am devoted to my God, to my husband and children, to family and friends, to making a difference in this world. but i know i have not been devoted to prayer in a way like that man portrayed. i have to stop and wonder what would happen to my spiritual life or to the above mentioned "devoteds" if i was that conscious of prayer time? i am quite certain my life would change dramatically in the sense that i would truly become devoted to those good things in life that are worth being devoted to, number 1 being my God who has blessed me with all the other good things i think i am devoted to.

the most beautiful part of webster's definition comes in the last synonym, love. if i could be truly devoted to prayer where i am consciously dedicating sections of my day to acknowledge and thank the one who placed me on this earth, an abundance of love, overflowing in all areas of my life, would come naturally.

not knowing what that prayer time meant to that particular man, i am still grateful to him for showing me a deep yearning and need to be more devoted in mine. my word for 2010, devoted.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Kari! Your devotion inspires me. I definitely feel more grounded when I am more devoted in taking time to pray. Recently I've had a desire to also meditate as I think that this is a great way to hear God speak to me.

    ba

    ReplyDelete
  2. People were devoted to Jim Jones too. Just my cynicism (my word of the year) creeping in. i did like this post though. i want to lead a Project 5:2 project to Niger and help in any way we can. let me know.

    ReplyDelete